James Sirius Potter (b. c. 2004) is a half-blood wizard, and the first-born child of Harry and Ginny Potter (nee Weasley). His two younger siblings are Albus and Lily Potter, and he is the main protagonist of the James Potter series.
Named in honour of his grandfather and the late Sirius Black, he was desperate to live up to his father's legacy. Eventually going on to forge a name for himself with his own unique legacy.
James was born sometime around 2004.
In 2014, he and his family attended the finale of the Quidditch World Cup, where his brother Albus almost toppled out of the stands.
When he turned eleven, James received his letter of acceptance to Hogwarts, and was taken to Diagon Alley, where he got his school supplies and prepared for his year at the school.
Education at Hogwarts
On the 1st of September that year, he traveled with his family to Platform 9 3/4 where he boarded the Hogwarts Express for the first time. James tried to give the impression that he was not at all nervous about starting at Hogwarts; most notably with the bravado he showed to his younger brother Albus.
On the train, James moved in between the carriages, pretending to be looking for someone so, that he hoped, people would not believe him lonely. His cousin Victoire invited James to sit with her and her friends, but he decided not to, feeling uncomfortable with them.
He later came across two boys named Ralph Deedle and Zane Walker, who were both Muggle-Borns. The three became good friends, and awaited their arrival to Hogwarts. Once there, James was sorted into Gryffindor, Ralph into Slytherin, and Zane into Ravenclaw.
He spent the rest of the school year feeling like he was living in his father's shadow, and that he "needed" to live up to his father's legacy (being the son of the famed Harry Potter).
In addition to this, his new-found friends helped him unravel the "Merlin Conspiracy," a plan to unleash a war between the wizard and Muggle worlds. This involved the Hall of Elders' Crossing, with the hope of bringing back the ancient wizard, Merlin to help start the war. James was told by a Dryad that he must beware, because his father's battle was over, and his was beginning.
During James' second year at Hogwarts, he spent much time dealing with the idea that his father's mortal enemy (Lord Voldemort) had a bloodline or successor, and that a mysterious being called, "The Gatekeeper" was somehow tied to it.
This was also the same year that his brother Albus began attending Hogwarts, along with his cousin, Rose Weasley.
Rather than spending another year at Hogwarts, James spent his third year at the American wizarding school, Alma Aleron. This was due to his father's involvement in an ongoing magical investigation in the United States. Providing a unique experience for James and his family, which ended unfortunately with the Night of the Unveiling.
After the events of the previous year, the wizarding world had been left in a state of uncertainty. James himself had been deeply affected, but tried to make the most out of a new school year back at Hogwarts. His little sister, Lily was also beginning her magical education at this time, sorted into Gryffindor like much of her family. He also became friends with Nastasia Hendricks, a mysterious friend of Zane who helped him throughout the term.
James spent much of this year caught in the middle of the "Morrigan Web" plot, unaware of all the people involved and the effects it would have on the future.
Last Years at Hogwarts
The next two years went by uneventfully, and didn't carry much adventure for James and his friends. One of the most notable things to happen is that James somehow managed to miss the Quidditch team tryouts two years in a row, much to his dismay.
- Albus is James's only brother, who is seen to have exhibited a lasting "brotherly love" with him. Only a year younger, he first attended Hogwarts when James was in his second year. Where, to his brother's surprise, he was sorted into Slytherin house. Along with the rest of his family, he traveled to the United States the following year, and attended the Alma Aleron school with James in Pennsylvania.
- Rose Weasley, being James's cousin, grew up with James and shared a close relationship with him. When James first boarded the Hogwarts Express, he sorely wished that she was a year older so that he could sit with her. She first attended Hogwarts in his second year, where she helped him in trying to uncover the mystery of the dark being known as the Gatekeeper. From then on, she was one of the main people who stood by his side in all his adventures at Hogwarts.
- Victoire and James must have spent a considerable amount of time together when they were younger, having also been one of his cousins. Before boarding the Hogwarts Express for his second year, James ranted about Teddy Lupin "snogging" Victoire to his family. Officially making Teddy and Victoire's relationship public.
- Lucy Weasley was James's adopted cousin. She was one of the family members who traveled with him to the United States, and attended Alma Aleron that same year along with him. He later saw her image in the Mirror of Erised.
Friends / People of Interest:
- Petra Morganstern and James always held a special and unusual relationship. He had a crush on her and partly wished to have a romantic relationship, despite the vast difference in their ages. At times it seemed apparent that there was something, especially when it was revealed that he and her held a magical bond. Although their destiny seems to be intertwined, Petra wishes that James would stay away in fear of him suffering anymore.
- Ralph Deedle is probably one of his closest friends, and has always stood by his side. Even going so far as to be with him and his family in America, and attending Alma Aleron.
- Zane Walker is an American student, and another of his closest friends. He currently attends Alma Aleron, but was one of the exchange students in his first year at Hogwarts. Through different means, he's constantly kept track of James's adventures, and has continued to be one of his closest confidants.
- Merlin wasn't originally seen by him as a friend and ally, especially during his first year with the "Merlin Conspiracy." However, after returning to the physical world, he gradually formed a unique bond with James and his friends.
- Tabitha Corsica, while seemingly nice at first, became an enemy of James, with her devious behavior, and support of the "Progressive Element." Much to his regret, he last encountered her at the Muggle York Academy in the Morrigan Web.
- James is a Hebrew name from the name Jacob, meaning "Heel" as in Genesis narrative, Jacob was born grasping Esau's heel and later brought his birthright. This was the name of James's grandfather and the middle name of his father.
- Sirius is the meaning of "Star" as it is the brightest star seen from Earth. It is also the Dog Star from Ancient Greek Mythology as he was Orion's dog. This is the name of Harry's godfather.
- Potter is a very common surname of English origin. It traditionally refers to the occupation of making pottery. Beatrix Potter was a well-known English children's author. Other things with the name "Potter" include, but not limited to: Potter's Field, the name for a burial ground for the unknown or unclaimed dead, particularly soldiers and orphans, (the Potter family in the series having many members that fit that description); the Potter Box, a model for making ethical decisions developed at Harvard University.